The National Puerto Rican Day Parade (NPRDP) held its annual Education Leadership Awards ceremony, honoring six distinguished leaders in education, and 30 high school and college students whom are recipients of the organization’s 2015 Scholarship Awards.
The event was held at Time Warner Center. State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, Bronx Borough President Rubén Díaz, Jr. and NPRDP’s Board of Directors were in attendance.
The honorees for the night were:
* Dr. Felix Matos Rodriguez, CUNY Queens College, President
* Ms. Michell Tollinchi-Michel, Dean for Academic Enrichment & Community Initiatives, BarnardCollege
* Dr. Betty Rosa, Regent, Twelfth Judicial District (Bronx County) Regents Office
* Dr. Milga Moralez, Vice President of Student Affairs, CUNY Brooklyn College
* Ms. Lisette Nieves, Lingo Ventures LLC, Partner
* Ms. Lilliana Hernandez, Former Chief of Bilingual Education at DOE, Bank Street, Teachers College Bilingual Education Institute
For the full list of 2015 Scholarship winners, click here.
NPRDP’s Scholarship Awards Program was created to promote the pursuit of higher education within local communities. In 2015, the organization has doubled the total dollar figure and number of scholarships awarded from the previous year to 30 scholarships in the amount of $2,000 each.
In celebration of the 2015 class of scholarship winners, Boxing Champion Miguel Cotto, Roc Nation Sports and Miguel Cotto Promotions will be contributing $5,000 to NPRDP’s Scholarship Program. Cotto, who is scheduled for a boxing match vs. Daniel Geale on Saturday June 6th, at Barclay’s Center, was designated the Parade’s 2015 Athlete of the Year, and will march on June 14th, on Fifth Avenue. Last night he sent an inspirational message via video to NPRDP’s 2015 Scholarship recipients.
All photos by Vincent Villafañe.
- Dr. Felix Matos Rodriguez, CUNY Queens College, President – Education Ambassador
- Ms. Michell Tollinchi-Michel, Dean for Academic Enrichment & Community Initiatives, Barnard College – Education Leadership
- Dr. Betty Rosa, Regent, Twelfth Judicial District (Bronx County) Regents Office – Education Leadership
- Dr. Milga Moralez, Vice President of Student Affairs, CUNY Brooklyn College – Special Recognition
- Ms. Lisette Nieves, Lingo Ventures LLC, Partner _ Special Recognition
- Ms. Lilliana Hernandez, Former Chief of Bilingual Education at DOE, Bank Street, Teachers College Bilingual Education Institute -Special Recognition
- Alma Moyo – Bomba & Plena
- Papo Vazquez and the Mighty Pirate Troubadours – Jazz
- Hector Montalvo Y Su Salsa Mayor – Salsa
- Viva Mas – Pop
- Candela – The Voice of Latin America (Que Bonita Bandera)
Join the 2015 National Puerto Rican Day Parade honorees for a glamorous night of luminaries, entertainment, and speeches celebrating distinguished Puerto Ricans in Corporate America, as well as cultural pride and empowerment. Proceeds will benefit NPRDP’s Scholarship Program. Special performance by Ivy Queen and Andrés Jiménez.
New York Marriott Marquis Hotel
- Rita Moreno (Grand Marshall)
- Victor Manuelle (Parade King)
- Roselyn Sánchez (Parade Queen)
- Andrés Jiménez (Godfather)
- Ivy Queen (Godmother)
- Lin-Manuel Miranda (Orgullo Puertorriqueño)
- Ivonne Coll (Lifetime Achievement in TV & Film)
- Martina Arroyo (Lifetime Achievement in the Performing Arts)
- Dr. Marta Moreno Vega (Lifetime Achievement in Arts and Culture)
- Tito El Bambino (Ambassador)
- Darlene Rodriguez (Ambassador)
- Luis Jiménez (Ambassador)
- Katiria Soto (Ambassador)
- Yan Ruiz (Ambassador)
THE BOARD OF THE NPRDP:
Ululy Rafael Martinez
Rosa J. Guitiérrez
Maria Elena Girone
Sandra A. Garcia-Betancourt
María Cristina Marrero