Con Edison reminds customers they can take simple steps to stay cool and save money as hot and sticky weather hits the New York region for the second straight week.
The company offers these energy savings tips:
- Set your air conditioner to the highest comfortable temperature. Each degree you lower the thermostat drives up your bill by 6 percent; Keep air conditioner filters clean.
- Con Edison offers a variety of energy-efficiency programs for the hot weather season. The Smart AC Program connects customers with smart technology to control their room air conditioners from their computer or mobile device;
- Con Edison also offers a smart thermostat program for residential customers with central air conditioning. Buy a wi-fi enabled thermostat and get a $25 rebate. Earn an additional $85 when you register it with Con Edison;
- Con Edison offers a calculator to help you determine the savings you can realize with a programmable thermostat;
- To reduce heat and moisture in your home, run appliances such as ovens, washing machines, dryers and dishwashers in the early morning or late at night when it’s cooler outside;
- Keep shades, blinds and curtains closed. About 40 percent of unwanted heat comes through windows;
- If you run a business, keep your door closed while the AC is running. Don’t burn through your profits to cool the street;
- Replace old appliances with new energy efficient Energy Star appliances.
Replacing an old air conditioner with a new ENERGY STAR unit can reduce energy usage by 30 percent. Con Edison will pay a $30 rebate to customers who buy a new ENERGY STAR air conditioner.
Customers can report outages and check service restoration status on Con Edison’s website (www.conEd.com), or by calling 1-800-75-CONED (1-800-752-6633). When reporting an outage, customers should have their Con Edison account number available, if possible, and report whether their neighbors also have lost power.
Customers who report outages will be called by Con Edison with their estimated restoration times as they become available.
Con Edison offers a number of mobile solutions so you can manage your accounts, report and check the status of an outage, learn energy-saving tips, and more. Text REG to OUTAGE (688243) to sign up for text notifications, and follow the prompts. You will need to enter your Con Edison account number to complete the registration process. Once you’ve registered, you will not need your account number to report or check the status of a power problem.
Or visit us here to stay on top of outages and power problems by signing up for text notifications.